SAP has replaced ASE Small Business Edition (SBE) with ASE Edge Edition. ASE Edge is limited to 4 cores but there are no limits on memory, storage or the number of users.
At a very low price point, this product is an excellent choice for systems that do not require a high number of cores but may still need high volumes of processing, however ASE’s new multi-threaded architecture combined with modern processors allows for high volumes of processing on a limited core count.
This is a great solution for virtualised and cloud based environments.
The product includes a free license of Replication Server for warm standby of ASE Edge Edition. With SAP’s flexible licensing model this allows you to implement a standby system at no additional cost.
It also includes as standard many previously additional licensed options:
- Security and Directory Services which provides SSL, LDAP authentication, row-level security and more to provide the highest levels of security and protection from un-authorized access
- Encryption of sensitive information such as credit card numbers or SSNs that can only be decrypted by authorized users
- Intelligent Partitioning of data based on its content, which improves performance, shortens maintenance times, and simplifies operations for aging data
- Compression which can lower storage costs and improve I/o performance
- Warm standby replication of ASE Edge data to protect businesses from data loss and accessibility in the event of a system failure
ASE Edge is only available to purchase through SAP partners.
Useful links :-
ASE Encryption – Protect sensitive data with minimal performance impact
ASE Semantic Partitions – Partition data to deliver lower cost and higher performance.
ASE Security and Directory Services – Ensure data privacy with row level access control, encryption of data in transit and integration with Active Directory, LDAP and PAM module.
ASE Compression – Compression of structured and unstructured data, reducing physical storage costs; improving cache and I/O efficiency.